Monday, July 28, 2008

Wait in Silence

I have noticed a particular phenomenon recently. Whenever anyone has an issue or a problem in life, that person runs to many other people to get their advice and opinion on the situation. I am very guilty of this myself. This came to a point of explosion the other day when I couldn't even figure out what I thought about a situation because there were twenty-six thousand other voices in my head. Ok, so twenty-six thousand is a slight exaggeration. But the point is that I didn't know what I thought anymore, let alone what God was telling me. I was incredibly frustrated and exhausted. I wanted to run away from life, but that never solves anything. This morning I opened up my Bible to Psalms. I was going to meditate on Psalm 63, which I had studied on Friday at an extended worship service. Guess what? Psalm 62 is right before Psalm 63. Haha. . .go figure ;) Anyway, it really caught my attention.

Psalm 62:1, 5-8
"For God alone my soul waits in silence;
from Him comes my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.
"For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
for my hope is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my salvation and my glory;
my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
Trust in him at all time, O people;
pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us."

I realized that I wasn't waiting for God in silence. I wasn't really waiting for Him at all. Instead of turning to Him, trusting Him, and pouring my heart out to Him, I had gone and sought the counsel of my friends. How foolish. I laid aside the cares and concerns of this world and quieted my heart. And listened. Such amazing peace and love from my God - my best friend and faithful Provider - overwhelmed me. I poured out my heart to Him. He listened. And reminded me that He is God. He will protect and provide for me. Hold me close and comfort me. He waits with His arms wide open to embrace me if I will only run to Him. Why do I run to the world? Why do we all run to the world? Really, why???

No comments: